Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Days 7 & 8

Hello everyone, hope your having a good week. Working around the house has been non stop and I look around again and see how much still needs to be done. We where told we get to rent our home for another year, so spring cleaning is in order. Yesterday I rushed around like a chicken with my head cut off and make the cornflake chicken again from last week because it was easy. Today is exercise with the Crunch again, some more cleaning, and then I am making stuffed cabbage for dinner.


I always wanted to try it and when it comes around to St. Patty's day all I want is boiled cabbage and potatoes. So I am making this to tide me over until the weekend when we have our official family dinner. Also it has gotten very cold again so comfort food is always the best. I found this recipe in Comfort Food Diet Cookbook which was a special magazine issue for Taste of Home. I will be replacing a few things, instead of turkey I will be using lean ground beef, and instead of the soups I will be using tomato sauce, I just really don't like when my meat has chunks in it which is what the veggie soup would do.

Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
1/3 cup of brown rice
1 head of cabbage
1/2 cup of shredded carrot
1/4 cup of finely chopped onion
1/4 egg substitute
1 can of reduced-sodium tomato soup
1 can of reduced fat vegetable beef soup
2 tablespoons of Italian dressing
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 pound of lean ground turkey

1. Cook Rice as directed on package. Meanwhile cook cabbage in boiling water until leaves fall off head. Set aside 10 large leaves for rolls. Cut out large vein on bottom of each leaf making a V shape.
2. In large bowl combine carrots, onions, egg, 2 tablespoons of tomato soup, 2 tablespoons of veggie soup, 1 tablespoon of Italian dressing, cayenne, pepper and rice. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. place about a 1/3 cup on each cabbage leaf. Overlap cut ends of leaf, fold in sides beginning from cut ends. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
3. Place rolls seam down in a baking dish big enough to hold all of them, coated in cooking spray. Combine the remaining soup and pour over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining Italian seasoning. cover and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until cabbage is tender and meat thermometer reads 165.

Makes 5 servings.
2 rolls are 293 calories and 10 grams of fat.