Saturday, January 23, 2010

Minimalist Oak Desk

Ughh.... Sorry guys for the late post, better late then never right? I kept thinking yesterday was Saturday because my husband was home (rain day!). So I was all turned around. But here ya go, Fridays Lazy DIY!


Alright so its not so much lazy this week. I live in a small bungalow type home, so more room anywhere is always the main goal. The one room I hate the most is my office. Most of the time I wind up working in the living room or at the dining room table, because its just BORING and tight in there. So allot of my projects for the next few weeks will how to make that room more comfortable. I love the closet offices. The ones that are built right into a spare closet, but I can't do that. We only have 2 closets and the one in my office is for my clothes. So that's out of the question. I came across this desk that is wonderful from Design Sponge again. I love how simple it is but has a lot of room on top and inside.

Materials:

* two 6-ft. oak boards cut into two 5-ft. long sections and two 5-in. long sections
* three 4-inch metal L brackets
* stud finder
* electric drill with drill bits and screwdriver bit
* twelve 2 in. long wood screws
* (optional) tung oil


Instructions

1. Cut the oak boards to size and cut smaller pieces for the sides.

2. Drill pilot holes for the screws in the top and bottom board and then screwed each side to the bottom. (See Below)


3. Mount the top to the wall using the L brackets screwed into three studs. (See Below)


4. Then screw the bottom and sides to the top and its finished.

5. Afterwards, rub it down with tung oil to protect it, which darkened the wood slightly but retained the matte finish.

Another option is to paint it before you put it together to contrast it with the walls. If you don't want to hang the desk off the wall. You can also nail in a piece of board (like you find on the back of bookshelves) to the back of the desk. Then screw in legs (metal bars, hard plastic tubes, balusters, etc..) in either the shape of a normal table (one on each corner) or in an upside down "v" shape. Then place it up against the wall, it won't take up any more space then the original design.
Happy weekend!